Monday, December 1, 2008

Will you be checking any baggage today?



I had lunch with my dear friend and mentor today. As always, we covered more topics in one lunch hour than a week's worth of 6 o'clock news segments. I'm sure to the patrons at adjacent tables, it's like watching a very animated tennis match. Two expressives, over fries, discussing the lastest happenings and what they mean...good stuff, God stuff!! After leaving the restaurant and getting back to work, I thought back on some of the things we discussed; world news, local news, both of our families, the economy, etc. Boy am I glad I'm a BELIEVER or I could have come back very depressed. And, even as Christians, we can get depressed. Especially when we attempt to carry it all.

A few years back, I spent an afternoon with two of the most Godly people I have ever met. Dr. & Mrs. Slade were introduced to me by a mutual friend and they helped me talk through some very challenging things in my life at that time. They petitioned God on my behalf and helped me to see that "God had it covered". That day and frequently since, the Lord has shown me all that I have tried to carry. I can remember at one point I counted it a badge of honor to be able to carry the load for myself and those around me!! I was a blond Wonderwoman...cape, belt, gold bracelets, invisible jet...yes, the whole package. What I didn't see though, was that all that weight, all the luggage, the baggage, I was never meant to carry. The Lord showed me that I needed to go back to the playground. I needed to check all those bags at His terminal and trust that He had it covered. Visually, He gave me a clear picture of a 5 year old girl going down the slide, then moving to the merry-go-round, then the swing. Carefree, blissful in every moment, all under the watchful eye of my Heavenly Father. That little girl wasn't carrying a Samsonite. When's the last time you saw kids on the playard pulling a "carry-on bag"? If I needed to pick up a bag, He would let me know.

Because of the drama/trauma I grew up in, I don't know that I ever really felt carefree, so that was an incredibly powerful image for me. One that He reminds me of consistently now. It is a choice though. We can certainly continue to stack on backpacks, suitcases, trunks and cases of worry, stress and anxiety. We can gain imaginary valor and take pride in our Super Hero-ish baggage-toting abilities but eventually that will suck the life (and joy) right out of us.

Now, don't get me wrong. I do not for a second think that God wants us to abandon our responsibilities and go on a permanent trip to the amusement park. He wants us to be moved by compassion. He wants us to take note of circumstances that He may be using to direct us to change. That is where we must be atune to His unctioning. However, He does not want the troubles of this world to consume us. He wants to consume us!

Amidst all there is to worry about these days, let's BELIEVE that we can "check our baggage" and visit the playground more often. Let's BELIEVE, audaciously, that His plan is at work & we can trust in it. Happy flying everyone (luggage free)! ~

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laura,

What a great reminder! In recent days, God has been teaching me to stop trying to do it all. I'm learning to leave work on time and take time out for my health.
Just the other day, I was thinking--what's the worst that can happen? As a believer, the worst is really quite good. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm painfully aware that I carry too much luggage in my life. Some bags so fully loaded to the point of having to sit on them to close them. :-) Emotional, mental, and even physical bags. Forever hauling them around for some sense of comfort and control.

Thanks for these beautiful words, Laura, reminding me that I don't need to continually do this. That there's someone always there to help me with my burdens if I only ask and lay them at His feet.

Thanks for being you. Thanks for being an inspiration to me! Angie