Monday, January 26, 2009

Promises, Promises





I've made them; I've broken them. I've also just plain forgotten them. I've been disappointed by broken promises made by family, friends, coworkers and those I barely know. Yet, most people sincerely intend to keep the promises they make (don't they?!). We're successful at times and other times, we're incapable of coming through before we even make the vow.


God's been reminding me of some of His promises lately. Isn't it so comforting to know that He keeps His promises...all of them. His word is chock full of them but let's examine a few:

#1 Philippians 4:6,7

"Be careful for nothing: but in every thing by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be know unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."

God promises us when we pray and give thanks we can expect His peace. We don't have to understand it, just expect it. His peace is something I've come to value more and more the older I get. Boy, do I love that one!

#2 Romans 8:38, 39

"For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

Did you hear that??!! Do you get that???!! His love is so great for you, for me, that NOTHING can separate us from that love! Whew, what a promise!

and #3 Philippians 4:13

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

That one is both encouraging and convicting. When I want to give up; when I think I just can't do it...He whispers or shouts (whatever is needed at the moment) that one to me. I can't do it on my own. I can do nothing without Him. AAAHHHH, but with Him there's nothing He's ordained for me that I can't accomplish.

We'll take a look at some others in upcoming posts, but in the meantime, I challenge you to pull out a few promises from His word and really dwell in them. Ask the Lord to remind you of one of His promises each time a friend, family member or coworker makes you a promise. Write them down on an index card and post on your mirror or daytimer. Ask Him to pour a little more cement on your footer of belief through His promises. You'll feel more solid in your knowledge of Him. You won't be disappointed!

2 comments:

Jan Cline said...

Yes, and Amen. I have been lead to remind myself of His promises lately. In times of discouragement, it's the best thing to do.
Thank you for your post.

Joey V. said...

Hi,
Saw your profile on the new author and liked your post.

I like your post on promises, it's so true about God's promises!